Faculty Mentor: Omar Farha
Sylvia Hanna received her B.S. in Chemistry with a concentration in Interdisciplinary Materials Science from Rowan University. Her research is currently focused on designing and synthesizing novel actinide-based metal–organic frameworks (MOFs). Because MOFs allow for isolation of single metal atoms or clusters in coordination chemistry environments, they are instrumental for studying the underexplored structural and electronic properties of actinides.
Awards & Fellowships
- NDSEG Fellowship Program Alternate (2018)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Honorable Mention (2018)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Honorable Mention (2017)
- ACS Undergraduate Inorganic Chemistry Award
- Barry Goldwater Scholarship Honorable Mention
- Michael Miller Award for Excellence in Chemistry
- Chen, Z; Hanna, S. L.; Redfern, L. R.; Alezi, D.; Islamoglu, T.; Farha, O. K.,“Reticular Chemistry in the Rational Synthesis of Functional Zirconium Cluster-based MOFs,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, 2019, 386, 32-49.
- Hanna, S. L.; Xuan, Z.; Otake, K.; Drout, R. J.; Li, P.; Islamoglu, T.; Farha, O. K., “Guest-dependentSingle-crystal-to-single-crystal Phase Transitions in a 2D Uranyl-based Metal–Organic Framework,” Crystal Growth & Design, 2019, 19, 506-512.
- Drout, R. J.; Robison, L.; Hanna, S; Farha, O. K., “Can Metal-Organic Framework Composites Contain the Water Contamination Crisis?” ACS Central Science, 2018, 4, 321-323
- Hanna, S. L.; Huang, J. L.; Swinton, A. J.; Caputo, G. A.; Vaden, T. D., “Synergistic Effects of Polymyxin and Ionic Liquids on Lipid Vesicle Membrane Stability and Aggregation,” Biophysical Chemistry, 2017, 227,1-7.
- Miller, M. C.; Hanna, S. L.; DeFrates, K. G.; Fiebig, O. C.; Vaden, T. D., “Kinetics and Mass Spectrometric Measurements of Myoglobin Unfolding in Aqueous Ionic Liquid Solutions,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2016, 85, 200-207.