Materials Science & Engineering
Faculty Mentors: Chad Mirkin and Vinayak Dravid
Jingshan Du received his B.S. in Engineering with honors from the Chu Kochen Honors College, Zhejiang University, China. His current research interest includes structures of complex materials, chemical transformation, and interfacial phenomena at the nanoscale. This research involves studying the formation of nanomaterials with high structural and compositional complexity in confined reaction environments with nanometer sizes, a.k.a. nanoreactors, and subsequent correlative characterization for studying the atomic structure and properties at the individual particle level. This research may provide important insights into the design of next-generation catalysts, optical devices, and sensors based on complex nanomaterials.
Awards & Fellowships
- Hierarchical Materials Cluster Program Fellowship, Northwestern University (2016-2017)
- Top 100 Bachelor’s Thesis Award, Zhejiang University (2015)
- Cross-disciplinary Scholars in Science and Technology (CSST) Fellowship and the CSST Award, University of California, Los Angeles (2014)
- National Scholarship (Undergraduate), Ministry of Education of China (2014)
- Chu Kochen Scholarship (Presidential Award), Zhejiang University (2014)
- The Kwanjeong Educational Foundation Scholarship (2012-2014)
- Chou Pei-yuan Award for Youths in Science and Technology Innovation (2010)
- Chen, P.-C.; Du, J. S.; Meckes, B.; Huang, L.; Xie, Z.; Hedrick, J. L.; Dravid, V. P.; Mirkin, C. A., “Structural Evolution of Three-component Nanoparticles in Polymer Nanoreactors,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139 (29), 9876-9884.
- Du, J. S.; Chen, P.-C.; Meckes, B.; Xie, Z.; Zhu, J.; Liu, Y.; Dravid, V. P.; Mirkin, C. A., “The Structural Fate of Individual Multicomponent Metal-oxide Nanoparticles in Polymer Nanoreactors,” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56 (26), 7625-7629.
- Du, J. S.; Bian, T.; Yu, J.; Jiang, Y.; Wang, X.; Yan, Y.; Jiang, Y.; Jin, C.; Zhang, H.; Yang, D., “Embedding Ultrafine and High-content Pt Nanoparticles at Ceria Surface for Enhanced Thermal Stability,” Adv. Sci., 2017, 4 (9), 8.
- Yan, Y.; Du, J. S.; Gilroy, K. D.; Yang, D.; Xia, Y.; Zhang, H., “Intermetallic Nanocrystals: Syntheses and Catalytic Applications,” Adv. Mater., 2017, 29 (14), 1605997.
- Du, J.; Yu, J.; Xiong, Y.; Lin, Z.; Zhang, H.; Yang, D., “Developing an Aqueous Approach for Synthesizing Au and M@Au (M = Pd, CuPt) Hybrid Nanostars with Plasmonic Properties,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2015, 17 (2), 1265-1272.