Faculty Mentors: Joseph Hupp and Omar Farha
Hyunho Noh received a B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. His research is currently focused on the synthesis of well-defined heterogeneous catalysts for renewable energy-related catalysis. This work involves the controlled growth of structurally characterizable metal chalcogenide clusters in metal–organic frameworks (MOFs) via vapor and/or solution-phase post-synthetic modifications. His work could lead to advances in our fundamental understanding of the correlation between the structure of the metal chalcogenide clusters and their catalytic activity in reactions such as H2 evolution, CO2 reduction, and N2 fixation.
Awards & Fellowships
- Departmental Distinction, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2014)
- Cum Laude, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2014)
- Dow Undergraduate Research Fellowship, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2014)
- Homer J. and Edith M. Birch Scholarship, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2014)
- Li, Z.; Peters, A. W.; Platero-Prats, A. E.; Liu, J.; Kung, C.-W.; Noh, H.; DeStefano, M. R.; Schweitzer, N. M.; Chapman, K. W.; Hupp, J. T.; Farha, O. K., "Fine-tuning the Activity of Metal–Organic Framework-supported Cobalt Catalysts for the Oxidative Dehydrogenation of Propane," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 10.1021/jacs.7b09365.
- Kung, C.-W.; Audu, C. O.; Peters, A. W.; Noh, H.; Farha, O. K.; Hupp, J. T., "Copper Nanoparticles Installed in Metal–Organic Framework Thin Films are Electrocatalytically Competent for CO2 Reduction," ACS Energy Lett., 2017, 2394-2401.
- Noh, H.; Cui, Y.; Peters, A. W.; Pahls, D. R.; Ortuño, M. A.; Vermeulen, N. A.; Cramer, C. J.; Gagliardi, L.; Hupp, J. T.; Farha, O. K., "An Exceptionally Stable Metal–Organic Framework Supported Molybdenum(VI) Oxide Catalyst for Cyclohexene Epoxidation," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138, 14720-14726.